The Cheetah Chase is one of the most unique 5K events in Michigan and a favorite at Binder Park Zoo! Runners of all ages and abilities complete a 5K covering two continents—sprinting all the way to “Africa” and back. Kangaroos, wolves, and giraffe will be on-hand to watch participants race through the Zoo, whether in the 5K Gazelle Gallop of the 5K Sloth Walk.
About This Event
This 5K course has a variety of surfaces including asphalt, brick, boardwalk, crushed rock, and grass. There is a combination of up hills, down hills, tight turns and flat stretches throughout the course. Native Michigan woodlands are in abundance along with a wide variety of zoo animals to catch your eye. Highlights also include panoramic views of the African savanna with herds of giraffe, zebra, antelope, lions and more. This is a truly unique venue for a 5K event.
Pre-register online at www.binderparkzoo.org/5k or complete a registration form to enter the Binder Park Zoo Cheetah Chase event of your choice.
Online registration will close at 11:59pm EST on Thursday, June 21, 2018.
Mail-in registrations must be postmarked no later than June 18, 2018. Day of event registrations will be accepted for the race fee of $50.
** Day of Registration will be $50 **
Early Packet Pickup
- Reduce your time in line with early packet pick-up.
- From 5pm to 7pm on Friday, June 22, we will have early packet pick-up in the Cross Administration Building (Zoo Office).
- Participants may also pre-register on Friday during Friday packet pickup.
Events and Times
- 6:45am to 7:45am - Registration.
- 7:45am - Gates to zoo entrance closed to prep for race - be here before 7:30 to park in zoo lot.
- 8:00am - Gazelle Gallop (5K Run), Sloth Walk (5K Walk). Post Race Cool Down After The Race.
- Last participant must cross the finish line by 9:30am.
- Shuttles from Harper Creek High School will run from 6:00am until 11:00am.
- A Bell’s Brewery station will be open during the event and also on zoo grounds all day
All participants in both 5K events will receive a free day-of admission pass to the zoo and their first Bell’s brew for free (21 and up only). Race day registrations are not guaranteed Cheetah Chase shirts.
- Gazelle Gallop (5K Run) - $40 (Registration on Race Day - $50)
- Sloth Walk (5K Walk) - $40 (Registration on Race Day - $50)
- The $40 registration fee includes a Cheetah Chase Cotton T-shirt.
- Kalamazoo Area Runners/Battle Creek Road Runners and Holland Running Club receive a $2 discount with your membership ID number.
14 years & younger, 15-19 years, 20-29 years, 30-39 years, 40-49 years, 50-59 years, 60-69 years, 70 years & older
Awards and Results
Prizes for the Gazelle Gallop and Sloth Walk will be awarded to: 1) Top Overall Male, 2) Top Overall Female, 3) Top Master Male & Female, 4) Top Three Males and Females per Age Category. Top overall male and female master excluded from age category awards. Results will be posted following the completion of each event on site and later in the day at www.macssportstiming.com
NEW FOR 2018 is “Cots & Spots! Friday, June 22
Cheetah Chasers and their “team” can experience an overnight at the zoo before the race! Enjoy a carb-loading spaghetti dinner, animal presentations, a night hike and more- then stay overnight in one of the eight tented camps in Wild Africa. Awaken to breakfast on the savanna and “animal yoga” before the race. Up to four people per tent is a flat fee of $240, and each additional person up to eight is $50 apiece. Some restrictions apply. Contact Hannah for more information at hsmedley@ binderparkzoo.org -but hurry, space is limited!
Cereal City Stampede 5K Series
Participate in the four Cereal City Stampede events and receive a T-shirt and possible top overall winner award. The events in the Cereal City Stampede 5K Series are Kellogg's Cereal City Classic, Binder Park Zoo Cheetah Chase, and the Road Hawg Classic. Participate in all three events and receive a Stampede T-shirt at the last event, Road Hawg Classic. Awards will also be given at the Road Hawg Classic to the top male and female overall combined time.
Answer "Yes" to the Stampede Series Question during the registration process.
Gazelle Gallop and Sloth Walk timing provided by Mac's Sports Timing. Go to www.macssportstiming.com for results.
Please go the extra mile and make a donation while registering to help support Binder Park Zoo cheetah conservation programs. Your extra effort could earn you the Zookeeper For a Day experience! (*Participation in fund raising is not required, but greatly appreciated.)