The Cheetah Chase is one of the most unique 5K events in Michigan and a favorite at Binder Park Zoo! Runners of all ages and abilities complete a 5K covering two continents—sprinting all the way to “Africa” and back. Kangaroos, wolves, and giraffe will be on-hand to watch participants race through the Zoo, whether in the 5K Gazelle Gallop of the 5K Sloth Walk.
Battle Creek, MI US 49014
About This Event
This 5K course has a variety of surfaces including asphalt, brick, boardwalk, crushed rock, and grass. There is a combination of up hills, down hills, tight turns and flat stretches throughout the course. Native Michigan woodlands are in abundance along with a wide variety of zoo animals to catch your eye. Highlights also include panoramic views of the African savannah with herds of giraffe, zebra, antelope, and more. This is a truly unique venue for a 5K event.
REGISTER IN JANUARY AND RECEIVE A $5.00 DISCOUNT - Race fees for the month of January will be $35.00. After January, the pre-registration fee will be the normal $40.00. Race day registration fee will be $50.00
NEW FOR 2020!! - Cheetah Chase Team Competition
Create a team and recruit friends, family members, and coworkers to participate in the Gazelle Gallop or Sloth Walk with you! Participants on teams with 10 or more members will receive an extra zoo pass good for any day during the 2020 season and be entered to win a major award. Team registration will close at 11:59pm EST on Thursday, June 25, 2020.
Pre-register online at www.binderparkzoo.org/5k or complete a registration form to enter the Binder Park Zoo Cheetah Chase event of your choice.
Online registration will close at 11:59pm EST on Thursday, June 25, 2020.
Mail-in registrations must be postmarked no later than June 22, 2020.
** Day of Registration will be $50 **
Early Packet Pickup
- Reduce your time in line with early packet pick-up.
- From 4pm to 6pm on Friday, June 26, we will have early packet pick-up in the Cross Administration Building (Zoo Office).
- Participants may also register on Friday during Friday packet pickup.
Events and Times
- 6:45am to 7:45am - Registration.
- 7:30am - Gates to zoo entrance closed to prep for race - be here before 7:30 to park in zoo lot.
- 8:00am - Gazelle Gallop (5K Run), Sloth Walk (5K Walk). Post Race Cool Down After The Race.
- Last participant must cross the finish line by 9:30am.
- Shuttles from Harper Creek High School will run from 6:00am until 11:00am.
- Beer Garden – open during event and also on zoo grounds all day
All participants in both 5K events will receive a free day-of admission pass to the zoo and their first Bell’s brew for free (21 and up only). Race day registrations are not guaranteed Cheetah Chase shirt.
- Gazelle Gallop (5K Run) - $40 (Registration on Race Day - $50)
- Sloth Walk (5K Walk) - $40 (Registration on Race Day - $50)
- The $40 registration fee includes a Cheetah Chase Technical Tee Shirt.
- Kalamazoo Area Runners/Battle Creek Road Runners and Holland Area Runners receive a $5 discount with your membership ID number.
- Registration fee includes - Registration, “technical” race shirt, zoo pass for the day, and first beer free at the Beverage Sponsor station for adults over 21 years of age (other option available for participants under 21).
14 years & younger, 15-19 years, 20-29 years, 30-39 years, 40-49 years, 50-59 years, 60-69 years, 70 years & older
Awards and Results
Prizes for the Gazelle Gallop and Sloth Walk will be awarded to: 1) Top Overall Male, 2) Top Overall Female, 3) Top Master Male & Female, 4) Top Three Males and Females per Age Category. Top overall male and female master excluded from age category awards. Results will be posted following the completion of each event on site and later in the day at www.macssportstiming.com. Results can also be accessed on the Monday following the race at www.binderparkzoo.org/5k.
Cereal City Stampede 5K Series
Participate in the four Cereal City Stampede events and receive a t-shirt and possible top overall winner award. The events in the Cereal City Stampede 5K Series are Kellogg's Cereal City Classic, Binder Park Zoo Cheetah Chase, and the Road Hawg Classic. Participate in all three events and receive a Stampede t-shirt at the last event, Road Hawg Classic. Awards will also be given at the Road Hawg Classic to the top male and female overall combined time.
Answer "Yes" to the Stampede Series Question during the registration process.
Gazelle Gallop and Sloth Walk timing provided by Mac's Sports Timing. Go to www.macssportstiming.com for results.
Please go the extra mile and make a donation while registering to help support Binder Park Zoo cheetah conservation programs. Your extra effort could earn you the Zookeeper For a Day experience! (*Participation in fundraising is not required, but greatly appreciated.)